Saturday, August 13, 2011

Chapter 4: Introductions


Chapter 4: Introductions
.
.
.
I can’t tear myself away. His eyes. Damn it, his eyes look even better in the light of day. Crystal clear, mint green. And best of all...
The glasses.
I. Can’t. Look. Away.
I don’t have a fetish or anything when it comes to men wearing spectacles, but gosh darn it, he looks like walking sex in them.
He looked like walking sex before, but you know...
This is just... woah.
I’m having a hard time reading him, though. I can tell he’s just as shocked as I am, but in that split second, I don’t know what his next move will be. Will he acknowledge me? Will he treat me like a stranger? Does he even remember who I am? Looking at me now, he seems disappointed.
Mr. Cullen clears his throat, shaking the awkward silence off, and smiles brightly.
“Hello, Mrs. Newton...”
“Swan!” I blurt out. I don’t mean to. It’s pure reflex, I swear.
“Swan?” he answers, confused.
I’m acting like a bumbling idiot.
“Ms. Swan. Bella Swan. Divorced. Single. Unattached.”
Oh, my God, I’m such an asshole. 
I catch Angela’s bemused expression. Yeah, I don’t understand what’s going on here either, sister.

A little voice pipes up from beside me. I turn as my child starts with his life story.
“I’m Garrett Newton ‘cuz my dad’s Mr. Newton. But he doesn’t live with us anymore. I never really saw him that much, though. Mom said he was too busy playing doctor with a nurse from the hospital he works at and...”
Oh sweet Jesus. Verbal diarrhea must run in the family
My hand quickly covers his mouth, ceasing all further vomit from escaping. I laugh like a crazy person.
“Ha! Isn’t he funny? That’s enough of that, my wonderful son.” I rush my words, watching Edward’s face change from confused, to hopeful, to downright amused.
“Well, as they say... ‘out of the mouths of babes’...” he adds, breaking eye contact to look down and shuffle nervously.
“Yeah, funny. Um, so... I know you probably have a ton of things to do, so I’ll be going,” I swiftly change subjects, squatting down to hug my son goodbye.
That’s when I hear that horrible screeching sound again.
“Mr. Cullen?”
“Here we go,” Angela mutters under her breath, which makes me stop to look up.
Edward turns to Lauren who practically skips towards him, plastic boobs unmoving. No bounce to them. Do men actually like tits that don’t move? I guess if they’re that big they could give a shit. 
“Yes, Ms. Mallory?”
“I just wanted to let you know,” she says all breathy and stuff, stepping closer until her hand lingers on his chest, her fake nails, airbrushed with unicorns, contrasted against his shirt.
And what is that smell? Is that her perfume? I think my nose just died.
“I’m available for room mom duties... whenever you need me.” She says the last line puckering her glossy lips, eyelashes aflutter. 
Cue eye roll.
All I want to do is get the hell out of here when Angela chimes in.
“Lauren, a room mom has to be a mom. Hence the title. You’re James’ aunt. You don’t even have kids.” Angela sounds annoyed.
I like Angela.
“Unfortunately, that’s true Ms. Mallory, but thank you for considering helping us. I assure you, if the children need anything you can provide, I’ll have the assigned room mom contact you,” Edward replies. It doesn’t escape me that he’s shooting her down gracefully without sounding rude.
As I’m kissing G’s forehead and straightening up to make my exit, Angela speaks again.
“How about you, Bella?”
I freeze. 
Say what, now?

“What about me, what?” I respond dumbly, eyes switching from hers to Edward’s. 
“You can totally be room mom! You work from home! Your hours are flexible, aren’t they?”
“Oh, I couldn’t. Um... I mean, I’d love to, of course.” I stare as Garrett gazes up at me, all excited. He nods his head vigorously, and I think he might even jump a little.
“But I really can’t. I can’t commit to an all-week thing, and it wouldn’t be right to say yes and not be able to commit...” I babble. 
“Oh, well then, maybe for special occasions like class pizza parties and stuff,” Angela suggests, clearly trying to get me involved somehow. I feel guilty, which is probably her desired reaction.
“Um, okay, yeah sure. That would be okay,” I say, finally looking back at Edward. His eyes haven’t left mine and his face is unreadable. Damn it.
Angela touches my arm, recalling my attention. “Great! Okay. I gotta go too. Lily, give Mommy a kiss, baby, I’ll pick you up later, okay? Have fun!” Angela hurries towards Lily, hugging her. 
“Okay, Mommy!”
Lauren tries to engage Edward in conversation about God knows what, but I can totally feel his eyes on me as I turn towards Garrett again, saying my final goodbyes before walking towards the door.
“Ms. Swan! Wait!”
Shit. Is he going to mention the other night? Does he even remember?
I turn back to see him jogging towards me, slowing as he nears. His broad, fucking outrageous back blocks the view moms and little ones in his classroom.

“Bella, please. Just call me Bella.” 
He smiles lopsidedly, eyes sparkling again. He nods.
“I just wanted to tell you,” he says, pausing as his eyes flicker towards my mouth and back to my eyes, “I’d be happy to have you... anytime.”
I gasp slightly at his words and my eyes become saucers. He realizes what he just said and quickly squints his eyes shut and opens them again, shaking his head. “I mean, We’d... We’d be happy to have you... anytime.”
All I can do is nod like a stunned dumbass.
His hand comes out between us, waiting for me to shake. I slowly oblige.
“It was nice to meet you... Bella.”
The way he says my name. God DAMN.
Then... then.... his hand squeezes mine.
Hardly noticeable to anyone. Except I notice it. He knows I notice it.
Does this mean he remembers? Does he remember how he stuck his tongue in my mouth and moved his hands all over me on the dance floor? Sitting in a darkened booth?
Or... does he not remember and this is just him being flirty? Either way, this is going to get pretty complicated... pretty damn soon. 
...
I walk towards my car in a daze. Too many thoughts swirl around my head, like those fricking birds in cartoons after the characters get hit with anvils.
A car slowly idles next to me. It’s Angela.
“Hey, Bella!”
I turn to her as she lowers her car window all the way.
“Hey, Ang.”
She giggles knowingly.
“You alright there?” 

“Fine. I’m glad you’re amused,” I reply wryly. 
“Oh, c’mon! You know I had to try. The way you two were undressing each other with your eyes in there, I figured I’d give you a boost!”
She laughs even harder when she sees my mouth agape. 
“Angela Webber-Cheney, you little hussy!”
“Hey, nothing wrong with a little flirting. It’s healthy. And he’s pretty ‘healthy’ too, by the way. Nom nom nom.”
“Oh, Angela. Eww. Stop. You nom nom nomming your daughter’s kindergarten teacher is just weird.”
“Why!?”
“Because you’re married!”
“Oh, stop. I’m married, not blind! But whatever... doesn’t mean you can’t do the nomming.”
“Angela.”
“Okay, okay, I’ll stop. But look. Why don’t we work out some kind of carpooling thing with the kids? Makes everything easier for the both of us?”
We make plans to switch off with pick-ups and drop-offs, and after another minute of chatting, Angela pulls away with a wave.

...
Later that day, I ring the doorbell to Angela’s front door and smile when she opens.
“Hey! Come on in! They’re in the yard.”
Her home is comfortable and smells like chocolate chip cookies. She really takes this PTA mommy thing seriously.
“Cookie?” The plate magically appears in front of me as I take a seat at the kitchen table.
“Sure. So how’d it go picking him up? I left a message for him at the front office so he’d know he was leaving with you.”
“Everything was great. Actually,” she sits down next to me, taking a cookie for herself, “Mr. Cullen asked about you.”
All chewing stops. I must look like a chipmunk with all the cookie goodness stuffed in my cheeks. 
“Really?” 
Angela smiles mischievously. “Yep. When he saw me gathering the kids he came up to me and asked if you and I had a carpool going. Apparently, he wanted to make a note of it for his records. Or at least that’s what he wanted me to believe... but I know better,” she said, narrowing her eyes, pursing her lips.
“He probably has to know those things right? That’s nothing,” I argue.
“Maybe. But the way he asked... You had to be there to get it.”
“Get what?” I hold my breath.
“The way he looked. Like a nervous teenager asking about a girl in school. It was quite endearing.”
Before I can probe for more information, the kids race into the house.
“Mom!” Garrett hugs me, all sweaty and boy. I love him.
“Hey there, G. Ready to go?”
“Yep! Lily says you’re driving us to school tomorrow morning?” he says, all hopeful.
“Sure thing, squirt. Actually every morning from now on. What do you think of that?” 
Lily and Garrett both shout gleefully.
After making plans for tomorrow morning, we’re on the drive home.
“So how was your first day, Buddy?” 
“It was awesome! Mr Cullen took us on a tour of the school. We saw the cafeteria, the playground, the rest of the kindergarten rooms, and the main office!”
“Cool!”
Garrett continues to tell me about his fantastic day, and I smile, living it through his eyes.
“And Mr. Cullen is soooooo cool!”
“He sure looks like it.”
“I bet he’s awesome at everything!” he gushes as we enter the house, throwing his backpack on the floor and heading upstairs, which leaves me to think about Edward and his awesomeness. 
I know he’s at least awesome at a few things. I know he’s fucking outrageous with his mouth and hands. And hell... that boy can move. 
My mind travels to scenarios where I may be able to partake in all that awesomeness again. Many of said scenarios involve him throwing me on his desk and taking me...
Glasses on, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment