Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chapter 6: Surprise, Surprise


Smiles and head nods.
That’s how Edward acknowledges me the next couple of mornings during drop off.
Oh, yeah, and he adds a little wink at the end.
Fucker remembers. I know it.
Fridays rolls around and I’m a bit of a nervous mess. Around two-thirty I’m dressed and ready to pick up G and Lily at school, where I’ll also be meeting with Mr. Cullen.
His teacher, Bella. 
Remember that.
I’m not there to flirt with him. So what if I happen to wear a new top that shows just enough of the girls without making me a ho like Lauren? It’s perfectly acceptable.
I make it to the school right before the bell rings and manage to weave my way around parents who think it’s okay to park just about anywhere.
I hate people who feel entitled. Move your fucking car.
I’m edgy. I can admit that. I’m going to meet with a man who I just about threw myself at -- a man who may not remember every detail of that night at the bar, maybe not at all.
Or maybe he really just wants to talk shop. I can do that too. 
Who the hell am I kidding?
Through the hustle and bustle of kids and parents at the sound of the bell, I find myself in front of Mr. Cullen’s classroom. 
Door’s wide open. “Great,” I mumble under my breath.
As soon as I pop my head in hesitatingly, I see Garrett and Lily, helping their teacher clean up. They’re good kids. But I’m not paying attention to them because Mr. Cullen-- Edward-- is bending over to put something away and for that split second I have tunnel vision.
Oh, dear God. His ass
That’s all I can say.
My hands grow clammy, and I take a shuddering breath.
“Hey, guys.”
All eyes look toward me.
“Mommy! Look! We’re Mr. Cullen’s special helpers today!” Lily silently nods in agreement with Garrett. They’re both equally excited.
“That’s great, G! You guys are doing a great job,” I encourage them as I approach.  I look up to see Mr. Cullen’s eyes appraising me through his sexy glasses along with that flirty grin he does. 
He realizes I’ve caught him ogling when his smirk changes to his practiced, teacher smile.
“Hello, Ms. Swan.”
Honey. That’s what his voice sounds like. Mother-friggin’ honey.
I’d like to roll around naked in that honey.
“Hi, Mr. Cullen. How were they today?”
“Oh, They were great. Two of the best helpers I’ve ever had,” he says a little louder so the kids can hear, his hand tousling my son’s hair. G and Lily beam like bright stars.
I can’t explain how sexy watching him interact with the kids is. I just can’t. I’d combust into a million pieces if I had to use words to describe it, because there’re really aren’t any.
“Awesome. So, um. Should we, you know, talk then?” I ask, not knowing how to really categorize today’s meeting.
“Yeah. We’re pretty much done here. Hey, Garrett? Why don’t you and Lily head out to the playground for a bit? Your mom and I are going to talk.”
“Okay!” they reply together before bolting out the door. The playground is visible through Edward’s windows, so we can keep tabs on them easily.
“Right. Well, why don’t we have a seat,” he says, gesturing to a kidney table on the opposite side of the room.
I watch him move about the area, gathering papers and folders before he sits opposite me. I stare at him, prepared for... whatever this is. His expression is totally unreadable as he settles and sighs.
“Okay. Let’s get started. I have here a couple of committee sign-ups and forms and stuff. We usually ask parents to choose two out of the five...” he begins. His nearness is making it really difficult to concentrate on what he’s saying. His words are all a jumble.
The next fifteen minutes pass. He goes over parent-preparedness, reading logs (whatever those are), and hands me a calendar of events. Last, he passes me several forms to sign. As he offers me his pen our fingers graze and I swear the world comes to a screeching halt as our eyes meet briefly. The brief feel of his skin against mine creates a pleasant warmth through my body, making my thighs clench instinctively. 
His eyes quickly dart away as his hand retreats from my touch. Neither of us speak.
If I didn’t know any better I’d say he’s avoiding the rather large, magenta-colored elephant in the room.
No, really, there’s a giant magenta-colored elephant hanging on the wall. “Pinky the Reading Elephant” it says. 
Funny. But I’m really talking about the metaphorical one.
Edward continues going over trivial rules and procedures for chaperoning field trips before I manage to interrupt him.
“Do you remember me at all?”
Word Vomit. My inconvenient curse. Damn it.
Edward’s eyes widen, mouth opening and closing like a fish. 
I feel the immediate heat rise up to my face as my embarrassment paralyzes me. Why the fuck did I say anything? It’s now pretty obvious he regrets whatever he thinks happened.
I end the torture first.
“Look, I apologize. I really don’t know why I said that. I’ve had a hectic week, I haven’t slept too well, and I’m obviously making a fool out of myself, so just forget I said anything, okay?” I speak passionately with eyes focused on the floor as I rise and collect my purse. My chair screeches as I push it back, effectively trying to run away from my son’s teacher.
I’m almost at the door when I hear the screech of another chair.
“I remember,” he declares, his voice carrying through the empty classroom. As if he has the power to command my every movement, I freeze without turning to him.
“I remember everything,” he continues.
I turn slowly, finding him standing no more than four feet from me. His piercing evergreen eyes are imploring, helpless.
“Then why didn’t you say anything before?” My voice is barely a whisper. Having him so close, and approaching closer still, is clouding my ability to think. 
“I was kind of in shock the first day you walked in. Frankly, I was scared shitless. You never know what some people are capable of, and I have a professional reputation to uphold. I didn’t know you at all...” 
His body is now mere inches from mine. I can feel the breath of his words soft on my face. He smells like books and crayons and I can’t help it... it’s friggin’ sexy as shit. 
I’m clearly not well.
I swallow roughly before responding.
“Oh. Yeah, I guess that would be a valid concern. I just thought... maybe, you didn’t remember, or didn’t want to remember...”
I’m staring at his loosened tie and undone top button, which reveals a very light smattering of hair on his gloriously perfect chest. I can’t even dare myself to look into his eyes, to take in his expression. If I do, I’m done for; I know it.
“Oh, I remember.” His voice drops and becomes the audible sex I’ve heard from him before. He’s definitely flirting. 
Shit, I haven’t flirted-- at least sober-- in years. I never even had a change to practice. I was swept into motherhood and marriage right out of high school. 
This guy’s totally out of my league. 
I’m brought back to the scene and away from my self-deprecating thoughts when I feel the backs of his fingers graze my arm. It sends chills through my body.
“Bella, I...”
“Hey, Daddy!!” a voice chirps from somewhere.
Daddy? Huh? Was that me? Did I call him Daddy? 
I’m a sick bitch. 
Edward nearly bolts away from me, and I’m left to wonder what in the hell is going on. 
Just then I see a small person, a little girl, bounce in-- her rolling Dora the Explorer book bag rumbling behind her. She’s cute-- red hair, spiral curls, and bright green eyes. 
Oh, wait.
“Hey, pumpkin! How was school today?” His voice trembles a bit from nerves, maybe?
He crouches down to receive the little girl’s embrace. His eyes find mine, silently apologizing. I can’t even imagine what kind of facial expression I’m sporting.
“Sweetie, this is Ms. Swan, she’s one of my students’ mommies. Can you say hello?” Edward prompts the little one to turn towards me. Her smile is just like his.
She waves with a shy “hi.”
“Ms. Swan, this is my daughter, Brianna.”
I wave with the same timidity to the beautiful little girl-- a carbon copy of the gorgeous man before me.
Well things just get better and better, don’t they?

No comments:

Post a Comment