Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chapter 15: Out of the Mouths of Babes


Chapter 15: Out of the Mouths of Babes
.
.
.
"Bella, what happened to G's dad, your ex-husband?"
Here we go.
I turn to look for the waitress. "Can I get a refill, please?" I kind of shout when I see her whiz by. She nods and smiles in acknowledgement.
For a split second I think of asking if she can maybe spike it with something. Lord knows I'm going to need it.
"How much time you got?"
.
.
.
“So, after noticing he was at the hospital all the time, I decided I’d go to there myself and bring him some takeout. When I turned the corner, Mike was stumbling out of a supply closet tying up his scrub pants, the little, blonde, fellow X-ray tech following behind, giggling and wiping her mouth. I’ll never forget it.” I look out the window, reliving the entire scene.
I try to keep my story short and to-the-point. No need to wallow in the bullshit. Edward has been sitting, listening patiently to my story for the last twenty minutes.
I shake my head and come back to the present, only to find him looking at me with a sympathetic and slightly pissed off expression. 
“Wow. I’m sorry, Bella. That must’ve been very difficult.”
“You’d think, but no. Not, really. Edward, we got married for the wrong reasons. We lied to ourselves and each other, swearing we were in love and that it was the right thing to do. But the honest-to-God truth is, we weren’t in love. And the moment I saw him with that girl, a weight lifted-- like I could finally breathe, and I had no idea that our marriage was weighing me down.”
Edward takes my hand, his thumb creating patterns over my knuckles. His eyes make me melt.
“He was a fool, Bella. A total fool.” 
I’m dumbstruck at the intensity in his voice. 
But I agree with him.
“Damn right, he’s a fool. I’m a catch!” I smile and wink at him, trying to lighten the mood, He smiles unconvincingly and looks like he’s mulling over another thought.
“And, G? Mike has no desire to be in his life? How can that possibly be?” Edward’s ears and cheeks blaze red. Holy shit, I’ve never seen him like this.
“He was never really around to begin with, Edward,” I reply, this time taking his hands in mine, trying to soothe his apparent rage. “G never really missed him. Mike was always just the guy G called ‘Dad’, but on the periphery. He’d grown up with the understanding that Mike was always working, and I did the same.”
“Bella, he’s an idiot. You deserve so much more than that, what a fucking idiot.”
He mutters that last part almost to himself, which makes me giggle.
Once he sees me laugh, a small smile tugs at his lips, and within minutes we’re both chuckling away.
In one quick shot, he’s up, throwing some cash on the table and taking my hand.
“C’mon, let’s go get our kids.”
...
It’s awesome, this thing Edward and I have going. It becomes routine, really... but a really nice routine. The kids get along with each other, Bree’s a doll with me, and G’s erecting shrines in Mr. Cullen’s name.
It’s the day of the field trip, and yes, I’ve volunteered to be a chaperone. Angela’s also coming along, thank God, because I really can’t handle some of these frickin’ piranha moms. 
By this point, the cat’s pretty much out of the bag with our relationship. It’s a small town, and pretty stereotypical at that. We haven’t really been discreet, either. 
Relax, it’s not like we’ve been dry humping in the school library or mouth-fucking in the diner. But, there’s definitely an air about us that screams, “Mine... Don’t fucking touch.”
G’s talking and running around like the Energizer Bunny. It’s his first field trip, and you’d think we’re going to Disney World and not the Port Angeles Children’s Museum. 
“Mommy, how long is the trip to the museum?”
“Um, about an hour, little buddy.”
“Can I sit with Mr. Cullen?”
Boy-crush, I swear to you. 
I don’t blame you, my smart, smart son. I don’t blame you at all. Mr. Cullen’s pretty fucking fantastic. 
“I don’t think so, G. You all have assigned seats on the bus, you’ll probably be sitting with another friend in your class.”
“Are you gonna sit with Mr. Cullen, mommy?”
That little dip in his voice, like he’s taunting me. 
Smart ass.
“I don’t know, sweetie. I might have to sit with the other chaperones.”
“Oh, I don’t think Mr. Cullen would be very happy if you didn’t sit with him. You’re his girlfriend, aren’t you?”
Oh, boy. 
“Uh, um... hey, G? Be careful who you say that around, okay?”
“Why, is it a secret? Because you’re not very good at keeping secrets.”
This kid.
“No, it’s not really a secret, sweetie, but we don’t want to tell everyone we meet,” I try to explain.
“Why not?”
Hmm... Yeah, why not? Why am I making this such a big deal? 
“You know what, buddy? Never mind. Tell whoever you want to tell.”
That makes him smile.
What’s the worst that can happen?
...
“Well, don’t you look snazzy?” Edward whispers in my ear as he passes me, brushing up against my hip as he makes his way toward the bus to unload the box of prepared lunches.
I look down at myself, checking to see if I really look like a dork or not. I’m in cropped, skinny jeans, one of his white v-neck tees tied in a side knot, my chucks, and my Mariner’s cap.
When he returns to purposefully brush up against me again, I whisper back.
“I guess wearing your clothes makes me look snazzy. By the way you look pretty hot yourself.” I grin when I see the look of sudden awareness on his face.
He looks around to make sure we don’t have an audience and pulls me towards the hidden side of the school buss, away from prying eyes. He looks at me hungrily, staring at my lips and licking his own in the process.
“You’re wearing my shirt? This is mine?” He sounds like he’s practically growling in my ear as his finger edges the V, caressing my skin in the process. It makes me shiver, and not because I’m cold.
“Yes it is, Mr. Cullen,” I purr in his ear.
He grabs onto my hips. “Damn it, woman. You’re killing me here. You’re in trouble later, just so you know.” His warm breath in my ear makes me moan a bit and just like that, I’m left alone watching him walk back to collect the line of students.
Hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave.
I gawk at his jean-clad ass, the dark green school tee shirt hugging his amazing fucking back and sigh, hearing him chuckle. I snap out of it and catch him looking at me over his shoulder, arching his eyebrow. 
I love field trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment